Reefer's Cafe

Reefer's Cafe (http://www.reeferscafe.com/forum.php)
-   Filtration (http://www.reeferscafe.com/filtration/)
-   -   What is your choice of media do you have in your sump? (http://www.reeferscafe.com/filtration/6306-what-your-choice-media-do-you-have-your-sump.html)

reef man 09-27-2011 02:13 PM

What is your choice of media do you have in your sump?
 
I'm wondering what kind of media do you use in your sump? Right now I am running one row of bio balls with a foam block on top in the sump. I am also running chemi-pure elite on my reactors, 1 bag per reactor to get better flow through the bags. I'm just curious what you guys use. I also want to get rid of that foam block and maybe use something else.

Reefer4life 09-27-2011 02:30 PM

Sock, skimmer, gfo, carbon.(GFO & Carbon run through TLF reactor;)

reef man 09-27-2011 03:11 PM

Sorry for the title, came out retarded! Meant to say "What is your choice of media inside our sump?"

Reefer4life 09-27-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reef man (Post 62540)
Sorry for the title, came out retarded! Meant to say "What is your choice of media inside our sump?"

I understood what you meant!;)

reef man 09-27-2011 06:50 PM

bump

reef man 09-27-2011 06:51 PM

I want to get ideas of what different types of media I can use to substitude that foam block I have in my sump.

BioCuber 09-28-2011 07:40 AM

LOl yeah man, were you drunk when you wrote the title :rofl joking dude..

I use a filter sponge, then goes through the skimmer, then Chemipure Elite, then cheato and rubble.

Reefer4life 09-28-2011 07:53 AM

Why not replace the sponge with poly filter pads, or those blue & white pads they sell for fish tank filters? You can rinse them a few times before you have to replace them, and they are not that expensive.;)
Also, I hope you do rinse those bioballs periodically.:) You do not want to create a Nitrate factory.;)

reef man 09-28-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioCuber (Post 62553)
LOl yeah man, were you drunk when you wrote the title :rofl joking dude..

I use a filter sponge, then goes through the skimmer, then Chemipure Elite, then cheato and rubble.

HAHAHA! it could have been that I was drunk, but I won't say because I was a work! lol!

reef man 09-28-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefer4life (Post 62558)
Why not replace the sponge with poly filter pads, or those blue & white pads they sell for fish tank filters? You can rinse them a few times before you have to replace them, and they are not that expensive.;)
Also, I hope you do rinse those bioballs periodically.:) You do not want to create a Nitrate factory.;)

I was thinking of changing to filter floss plus I also have the hard poly filter pads as well to use as the second layer. I do rinse the bioballs every six months, I know that could turn out to be a big problem if I neglect it.

JF2381 09-28-2011 10:39 AM

No media here. Only a skimmer. My water is pretty clear but if I need any extra polishing I run a filter sock for a few days.

reef man 09-28-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JF2381 (Post 62564)
No media here. Only a skimmer. My water is pretty clear but if I need any extra polishing I run a filter sock for a few days.

Really?? How big is your skimmer?

JF2381 09-28-2011 11:42 AM

The skimmer is rated for a tank up to 250g.
But the true number is probably much less than that.

fishkeeper 09-28-2011 01:13 PM

im using just cheato at this time but with my new sump it will a proper fuge.........

gsago1979 09-29-2011 07:16 AM

Rox 0.8 Carbon and GFO in Bulk Reef Supply reactors powered by Maxi Jet 1200 powerheads. Filter socks on the return lines from my multiple tanks and protein skimmer.

reef man 09-30-2011 08:11 AM

I see that no one here uses media in their sump besides skimmers and reactors. Am I missing something here? Is the filter sock your only source of filtration for the sump (besides skimmers and reactors)?

BioCuber 09-30-2011 08:40 AM

these methods are tried and true to their performance, get rid of your bio balls man.

reef man 09-30-2011 10:54 AM

The bio balls are there because I had a wet/dry on my old 55g, when I upgraded, I transferred some for the sump since it was a newly setup system. Now I want to get rid of them and exploring options.

Reefer4life 09-30-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reef man (Post 62601)
The bio balls are there because I had a wet/dry on my old 55g, when I upgraded, I transferred some for the sump since it was a newly setup system. Now I want to get rid of them and exploring options.

reef man, just move the bio balls out slowly. Don't take them all out in one shot. A few twice a week should work out.;)

BTW, I don't always run the sock either with no ill effects. My tank stays clear, except for when I feed.lol I feed alot of food at 1 time.:no

gsago1979 09-30-2011 12:39 PM

I only run the Filter socks to catch any food remnants that may escape the display tank, and to keep the bubble count down in my stock tank from the protein skimmer return.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reefer's Cafe

Page generated in 0.04327 seconds with 10 queries